Author Topic: General Movie/TV Show News Talk  (Read 316 times)

General Movie/TV Show News Talk
« on: September 04, 2024, 05:17:06 pm »
I think we use to have one of these threads at some point, but this is just a general talk thread about current movie stuff, less about what you just watched, which is for the other threads, but more on  trailers, news, etc.  No spoilers for movies other than what trailers show, so no talk about leaks or the early previews and such.

I'll kick it off by being both surprised, but also not surprised by how bad the Minecraft trailer looks lol To me I got Spy Kids vibes, where you have this excessive amount of CG, but then throw in real people who don't match into it at all.  It's wild how we've had decent game to movie stuff lately like Sonic, Mario, FNAF, Detective Pikachu, and then we still get such outright major disasters like Borderlands and I don't expect too much better from this. 

Not that this will be Borderlands bad, that movie seemed to have suffered through development hell from the sound of it, and the director for this is the guy from Nacho Libre and Napoleon Dynamite, so he can at least do something kinda funny, but the visuals are wildly distracting to me.  I'm also a big softie for Jack Black (Not even he can get me to watch Borderlands lol), but this is maybe the most "Jack Black" I've seen him in a movie, where it feels like he's doing an SNL bit or he was brought in to be in a Youtube Minecraft video, rather than playing a character.  Jason Momoa is also doing something with his look, but I have no idea what lol

I expect it to do well, like it's Minecraft, the children yearn for the mine, and if the kids like it, that's all that matters, but this was such a weird direction to take things lol

Re: General Movie/TV Show News Talk
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2024, 08:58:15 pm »
Minecraft looked like Detective Pikachu to me which I liked. I don't know about the writing though. "What the hell" and "toolbag" sounded like they were just adding light swearing in place of something interesting. I doubt I'll be seeing it in theaters but should easily be the director's biggest movie since Napoleon Dynamite so good for him. I would like more Napoleon Dynamite. The show was pretty good but short lived.

Re: General Movie/TV Show News Talk
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2024, 11:17:36 pm »
Minecraft looked like Detective Pikachu to me which I liked. I don't know about the writing though. "What the hell" and "toolbag" sounded like they were just adding light swearing in place of something interesting. I doubt I'll be seeing it in theaters but should easily be the director's biggest movie since Napoleon Dynamite so good for him. I would like more Napoleon Dynamite. The show was pretty good but short lived.

Detective Pikachu worked because it was still generally pretty real world, so people didn't look out of place, and then did a decent job making Pokemon seem real enough, without losing their classic designs.  They are still cartoony, but it works, better than I think Sonic does.

With Minecraft, it seems to be 90% CG (With some likely interior locations probably being actual sets like the house they show) and then just throwing people into this very CG world.  The problem then continues trying to make square creatures "realistic", which you can't and I think it skirts the cliff edge of being in the realm of the original Sonic design, but they keep it just cartoonish enough from not being that.  In reality, a live action Minecraft movie just makes no sense.  They should've just had them transfer to the Minecraft world and wake up as square people.  Go almost fully animated, which is way better.

I know I'm thinking too hard about a video game movie directed at kids, but when we've had like a string of really good to overall decent game adaptations lately, this one just kinda sticks out like an eyesore.  I don't think I'll be wrong about how it turns out, but hopefully it's fun.  At best, just be a good comedy.  Maybe it'll be like the Jumanji movies where they aren't something that seem like a great idea, but turn out to be more entertaining than expected.