Author Topic: New details on Bungie's Marathon (2025 game)  (Read 79 times)

New details on Bungie's Marathon (2025 game)
« on: Today at 04:21:31 am »
A new report from Forbes is detailing some information about the upcoming game, which isn't expected to be talked about in an official capacity until spring but they may release a video to announce that it isn't a hero shooter.

They are saying the game will be the same price as Concord despite what happened to Concord because Helldivers 2 was a success and The Finals wasn't? The Finals seems to be managing well so not sure why they used that as an example, it's also unrelated to Sony. Marathon will have a battle pass and cosmetic store. (Keep in mind Destiny 2 has been free to play for years now.)

It is said to be an extraction shooter, if you don't know what that is it's because it was the "next big thing" which never happened. Call of Duty even failed making an extraction shooter so that should put it in to perspective. The major successes in this genre seem to be Escape from Tarkov and Hunt: Showdown, neither of which market themselves as extraction shooters.

Despite not being a hero shooter the playable characters have been likened to Apex Legends but with more customization.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/09/18/new-marathon-details-on-heroes-price-and-radio-silence/

BinaryMessiah

Re: New details on Bungie's Marathon (2025 game)
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:35:41 am »
These single generic name shooters need to stop. Overwatch did it the best, and of course ruined what was good. Concord, Destiny, Fortnite, Marathon. They all feel generic and have no soul. I know there are fans of each game, but I can't get into any live service game. The closest was The Division 2 and I quickly got bored of it. I feel Bungie is digging their grave as live service games will eventually stop. I know everyone is tired of them, yet somehow they keep making money.

It's a crowded market and Helldivers 2 broke through because it did something different. I feel Marathon will go the same way as Concord, Batleborn, Anthem, and Lawbreakers. If you don't stand out on day one and do something exciting you will get shut down because you have no offline content for people to play after the servers go. I honestly hate live service games more than any other genre.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:40:32 am by BinaryMessiah »

Re: New details on Bungie's Marathon (2025 game)
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:45:03 am »
Marathon is a 30 year old franchise, though.  It's been dormant for a while, but I don't think you can lay the naming convention at anyone's feet today.  That might also give it an advantage on release, but I wouldn't be confident about that.