Author Topic: GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket  (Read 485 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket
« on: October 03, 2026, 02:58:10 pm »
GBA-SP 101 vs Analogue Pocket
Which is better for Game Boy games?

I got rid of my GBA-SP 101  when I bought my Analog Pocket. For a lot of things the Analog Pocket is better in my opinion. Better screen, better sound, and of course it can play more games than just Game Boy. However when it comes to battery life, Nintendo is still top dog. I leave for work two days and two nights at a time. And I would bring my Game Boy with me, I had no problem with having to recharge it ever during my time. My Analog Pocket however, I do have to recharge after, or even during my work shifts sometimes.

How do you feel about these two handhelds? Which do you prefer?

sworddude

Re: GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2026, 04:09:42 pm »
GBA-SP 101 vs Analogue Pocket
Which is better for Game Boy games?

I got rid of my GBA-SP 101  when I bought my Analog Pocket. For a lot of things the Analog Pocket is better in my opinion. Better screen, better sound, and of course it can play more games than just Game Boy. However when it comes to battery life, Nintendo is still top dog. I leave for work two days and two nights at a time. And I would bring my Game Boy with me, I had no problem with having to recharge it ever during my time. My Analog Pocket however, I do have to recharge after, or even during my work shifts sometimes.

How do you feel about these two handhelds? Which do you prefer?

I mean modern console that costs 100's of $ with new tech vs the original I mean the answer has to be pretty obvious no?

Heck seen plenty of mod fanatics complain about an ags 101 screen not being good enough as is anyway. battery life of them old nintendo consoles is hard to beat though. I think it peaked with the og ds and ds lite that battery lasted forever.

as a purist who avoids non official consoles however i choose none of the above. GBA player on crt is my way of playing those kinda games these days. If handheld wants to compete with console counter parts gotto be experienced on the big screen.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2026, 04:12:50 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!



burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2026, 04:51:34 pm »
GBA-SP 101 vs Analogue Pocket
Which is better for Game Boy games?

I got rid of my GBA-SP 101  when I bought my Analog Pocket. For a lot of things the Analog Pocket is better in my opinion. Better screen, better sound, and of course it can play more games than just Game Boy. However when it comes to battery life, Nintendo is still top dog. I leave for work two days and two nights at a time. And I would bring my Game Boy with me, I had no problem with having to recharge it ever during my time. My Analog Pocket however, I do have to recharge after, or even during my work shifts sometimes.

How do you feel about these two handhelds? Which do you prefer?

I mean modern console that costs 100's of $ with new tech vs the original I mean the answer has to be pretty obvious no?

Heck seen plenty of mod fanatics complain about an ags 101 screen not being good enough as is anyway. battery life of them old nintendo consoles is hard to beat though. I think it peaked with the og ds and ds lite that battery lasted forever.

as a purist who avoids non official consoles however i choose none of the above. GBA player on crt is my way of playing those kinda games these days. If handheld wants to compete with console counter parts gotto be experienced on the big screen.

The Pocket has a dock that doubles as a charger and consolizes the Pocket. Only way I know of to play Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket, and Lynx games on a TV without modding.

sworddude

Re: GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2026, 05:19:01 pm »
GBA-SP 101 vs Analogue Pocket
Which is better for Game Boy games?

I got rid of my GBA-SP 101  when I bought my Analog Pocket. For a lot of things the Analog Pocket is better in my opinion. Better screen, better sound, and of course it can play more games than just Game Boy. However when it comes to battery life, Nintendo is still top dog. I leave for work two days and two nights at a time. And I would bring my Game Boy with me, I had no problem with having to recharge it ever during my time. My Analog Pocket however, I do have to recharge after, or even during my work shifts sometimes.

How do you feel about these two handhelds? Which do you prefer?

I mean modern console that costs 100's of $ with new tech vs the original I mean the answer has to be pretty obvious no?

Heck seen plenty of mod fanatics complain about an ags 101 screen not being good enough as is anyway. battery life of them old nintendo consoles is hard to beat though. I think it peaked with the og ds and ds lite that battery lasted forever.

as a purist who avoids non official consoles however i choose none of the above. GBA player on crt is my way of playing those kinda games these days. If handheld wants to compete with console counter parts gotto be experienced on the big screen.

The Pocket has a dock that doubles as a charger and consolizes the Pocket. Only way I know of to play Game Gear, Neo Geo Pocket, and Lynx games on a TV without modding.

unless you are a purist I ain't seeing how an ags 101 is winning this contest. especially since you can even consolize this console as the cherry on top

The battery life is defo sweet but too many pros from the looks of it.
Your Stylish Sword Master!



Re: GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2026, 10:12:29 pm »
Yeah, if the Analouge needed a proprietary charger for the battery I could maybe see the argument against, but everything has USB-C these days.


Re: GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2026, 12:45:55 pm »
I don't mean to be "that guy" but I think the best way of playing GB, GBC, and GBA games is a IPS screen modded in along with a rechargeable battery mod to replace the need to swap out AAs. I guess costs all depends on whether you can do it yourself or not, but it would likely still come in cheaper than an Analog Pocket, which would be my second choice. I've never been a huge fan of the SP, mostly due to non-ergonomic it is. But yeah, no emulation, all original hardware for the games to run on, and a goergeous, bright LED screen

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2026, 03:51:21 pm »
I don't mean to be "that guy" but I think the best way of playing GB, GBC, and GBA games is a IPS screen modded in along with a rechargeable battery mod to replace the need to swap out AAs. I guess costs all depends on whether you can do it yourself or not, but it would likely still come in cheaper than an Analog Pocket, which would be my second choice. I've never been a huge fan of the SP, mostly due to non-ergonomic it is. But yeah, no emulation, all original hardware for the games to run on, and a goergeous, bright LED screen

The Pocket is FPGA, it's not emulation.

sworddude

Re: GBA-SP 101 vs Analog Pocket
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2026, 07:50:55 am »
I'd imagine the battery life could be superior on a modded gba console.

plus the form factor of an og non sp gba could be a massive advantage aswell

also while it's no emulation there is something to say about it being og hardware in terms of nostalgia and feel.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2026, 09:33:52 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!